I’ve done a poor job at many things this past year however I didn’t necessarily prioritize them. For example, I didn’t blog nearly as much as I wanted to, read as many books as I wanted to, and probably spent too much time on things that don’t matter. Hindsight 20/20.
The things that I’m glad I spent time on:
- Me – I spent a lot of time doing what I call “getting to know myself”. I don’t think people do this enough and it’s been a valuable exercise. There are things I like about myself that I want to amplify and things I very much dislike that I want to make a conscious effort to change. Being reflective on myself was a tremendous help in growing.
- Writing – I completely blew off this blog (not that many people read it anyways!) in favor of laying down some ground work for a story that’s been floating around in my head. I spent a few weeks investing a ton of time into getting the idea onto paper and ended up writing 88 full pages of the story. I’ll be making an effort to invest more time into this.
- Co-workers, friends, family – I didn’t do this nearly enough in 2015 so I made an effort to get out more, call home more often, etc. I’ve developed some great relationships from it so I’m putting it in the win category.
- Genetics – In the second half of the year I probably spent the same amount of time learning and working on genetics related stuff as I did my full time job. It felt great to cultivate knowledge in this area and ultimately enable me to help my dad start to build out his company. This field is unbelievably fascinating and is an area I plan on continuing to invest significant more time in this year.
Now, there were plenty of things I did poorly that I’m planning on doing better in the new year:
- Reading – I did not read nearly enough and slacked heavily here. More to come here soon enough.
- Networking – This was somewhat a good and bad thing. I did some networking but not as much as I’d like to.
- Patience – My biggest weakness is patience. Need to practice the art of just being ok moving slower at times.
- International Travel – I went to Costa Rica and London this year which is the most I’ve done, however I think I could do much better here.
- Workout Consistency – Can’t accomplish anything if you’re not healthy. I slacked here a bit unfortunately. I’ve now set up more parameters around making sure I do this consistently.
- Writing – A good way to free the mind up is by writing down thoughts (which is why I built this blog). I’ve done a poor job of getting all of my thoughts, ideas, and rants out of my mind so I’ll be making a bigger effort to do this.
I’m sure there is more but these seemed to be the items that stood out most to me. The end of the year is always a nice time to reflect and give a gut check on how I feel I’m doing. I think I’ll be trying to do more of a “self review” each quarter to get a higher frequency of checking. Going 1 year at a time to make sure things are going well seems too long. Hopefully by switching to quarterly I can counteract poorly performing areas more frequently and “manage” myself better.
Anyway, cheers to the new year! Lots of fun to come.